The Denver International Airport (DIA) has been mired in controversy ever since the idea was birthed that Denver needed another airport besides the one in Stapleton, just a few miles away. The secretive construction of this monstrosity surely didn’t help to diffuse the chatter, either. In addition, the particular choice for the murals, sculptures and other artwork at the airport only continues to help fuel this conspiracy. Other than these topics, below are 10 little known facts about DIA.
- DIA is the largest international airport in the U.S… twice the size of the Dallas airport.
- DIA sits on 53 square miles of mostly unused open space.
- All in all, there is over 6 million square feet of public space in DIA.
- The initial cost was projected to be 1.7 Billion dollars, but after completion (and construction is still on-going) the final price tag was closer to 4.8 Billion dollars.
- There are over 5,300 miles of fiber optic cables running throughout the airport to support their local intranet.
- In addition to this, there is roughly 11,365 miles of copper wire in the airport for the communications network.
- The fueling system can pump 1,000 gallons of jet fuel per minute from 6 jet fuel storage tanks that hold 2.73 million gallons each.
- The only way to get to the other two concourses (terminals) in the airport is by the underground train system.
- There are more than 19 miles of conveyor belt track, luggage transport vehicles and road in the underground tunnel system for the transport of goods and baggage.
- The main terminal, also known as the “Great Hall” and Jeppesen Terminal is 900’ x 200’ – greater than 1.5 million square feet.
- The floors were constructed with granite imported from North & South America, Asia, Africa and Europe.
Regardless of whatever conspiracy or controversy DIA’s construction was shrouded in, it is apparent that it is not only a feat of modern engineering, but perhaps the most efficient airport system in the U.S. So next time you fly into Denver, keep your eyes open for all of the wonders that may await you! And if you need to high-tail it out of there, let Peak 1 Express get you the heck outta Dodge and to your Breckenridge ski destination in comfort, style and safety!